Monday 2 December 2013

Torrey Pines (south)

So its been a while.. hopefully I can get back into the swing of things over the next few summer months. Anyway, Torrey Pines has been my first experience and hopefully not my last of american golf.

From what I am aware it can be exceedingly difficult to play many of the country's top courses so I jumped at the chance to get on this very public US open championship venue and obviously host to a regular PGA tour event. In fact I recall this course pretty well from playing 'tiger woods' on my games console so it was funny how many holes I recalled and how short I subsequently hit the ball!

we got up exceedingly early to get there for the shotgun start where we wandered to the 7th hole  (stroke index 1).


Not the best light to start the day in and the 7th is a fine tough dog leg to challenge you at 6 in the morning. The strong bunkering certainly a plus point of the course.

The 8th and certainly the 9th are not the most inspiring of holes, especially with the very nice industrial surrounds to the 9th fairway but the 10th I found was a well designed short par 4 with an undulating green.

The 11th is another par 3, testing at 190 yards and although visually appealing, is very similar in nature to the later par 3 we played, number 16.

Soon we get to the 13th, for me one of the strongest and unique holes on the course. A par 5 with bunkers right, trees left with a subsequent chasm to hit down into and an approach to an elevated green 5 large bunkers running up. If only they had built more holes like this..



The next is also a strong par 4 where position off the tee is key to maximise line to the green, promptly followed by one of the weakest holes on the course. The 15th really doesn't have much going for it and although I managed my first birdie there, it is just not the sort of hole I expect to see at a championship venue.

Following the 18th and it's memorable little pitch over the greenside pond we get to what was in my view the strongest section of the course.

The 1st is a strong par 4 that I imagine would have been very tough with the rough up. The second is a good par 4 with a drive over the crest of a hill to a very appealing second shot (below)


Next is the picture postcard par 3 third that had me thinking back to my days at Kauri cliffs albeit only for a hole or two. A lovely golf hole, below.



Up next, another good cliffside hole par 5 with a hint of infinity green. Once again the feature is of well placed bunkers at driving distance with a well contoured green.


a rare moment of sun at just the right time on the par 5 fouth hole.

So Torrey Pines, a decent track but let down by average conditioning, too many average holes and not enough great ones. Glad to have played it but know that California has so much more to offer.. Next time it will have to be monterey.


1 comment: